Tuesday 30 March 2010

“Adventure must start with running away from home”

Dearest sister,

Firstly, I must apologise for not having been in contact for so long. I feel dreadful that I was unable to speak to you or reassure you before my departure, but for the sake of security it had to be this way. It was imperative to me that you and our father would not suffer any reprisals from the Republic for my actions, and also that I would be able to establish myself in my new home safely. I have no doubt that you will judge me harshly for my actions, but first let me explain my decision:

All of my life I have dreamed of exploring the universe, of breaking free from the persecution and slavery that we were born into. One day, at the end of secondsummer last year, Kevorax and I found ourselves aimlessly wandering through the alleyways of the marketplace of Dal Prime. We had found an easy mark earlier in the day, and had relieved him of his bulging wallet, and having filled our bellies with his stolen ISK, were feeling pretty contented and carefree. Little did we know how our day was fated to end.

We were looking at the wares of an elderly silversmith, and I was browsing a selection of fine torques and necklaces, hoping to buy you a gift. Suddenly, we became aware of a disturbance outside the stall, and turning to see its cause, were horrified to see the grimacing face of our earlier victim, flanked by to officers of the security force, their scowling eyes hidden behind their tinted spectacles. We were quickly identified and arrested, and in no short amount of time, found ourselves imprisoned in a holding cell whilst charges were brought against us. I was terrified, but managed to maintain my composure, however Kevorax immediately broke down and began to sob uncontrollably. I attempted to console him, but he kept insisting through his tears that we were undoubtedly headed for the noose.

As must surely be obvious from this missive, we escaped that horrific fate, but the tale of our emancipation must wait, as I must leave in a few minutes to attend to my duties. Be assured that I am safe now, and in due time you will, i hope, come to understand and forgive the path that I have chosen to take. Please reassure our father that I am alive, and place an offering on my behalf at our mother's shrine.

I remain your loving brother,

Jarek